Redefining collections--great opportunity to expose hidden collections throughout UC.
Next Generation Technical Services charge:
- Move technical services to network level, away from local level.
- Identify areas of coordination and collaboration across UC.
- Quickly implement any "low-hanging fruit" changes, with approval from Executive Tea
Next Generation Tech Services values:
- Speed up processing
- View all aspects of tech services as single, system-wide; eliminate redundancy
- Start with existing metadata that is "good enough" and go from there
- Tech services "critical infrastructure" for collections
- Commonly held content in Roman script
- Comminly held content in non-Roman script
- UC unique collections
- 21st Century Emerging Resources--blogs, wikis, tweets?, etc.
Mind shift: from "cataloging" to "technical services" needed to support a collection.
Next Generation Technical Services task force just beginning its work. Possible outcomes:
- Reduced silos in technical services work
- Collaborative approval plans
- Collaborative outsourcing
- Improved tools for system-wide acquisitions & cataloging
- "Shared Print in Place" norm rather than exception
- Less redundant work, which frees time to focus on local campus priorities